The University of Saskatchewan recognizes CUPE 1975 as the exclusive bargaining agent of the members of the bargaining unit as defined by order of the Saskatchewan Labour Relations Board or as may be amended from time to time by the said Board or by mutual agreement of the parties to this Collective Agreement.
1.2 Definition of Employee
Employees are hereby defined as those persons whose engagements, terms of employment, promotions and dismissals are set, determined and governed by the Employer. The word "employee" or "employees" where used hereafter shall mean any person or persons defined and covered by this Collective Agreement. Employees are entitled to all rights and benefits of this Collective Agreement unless otherwise limited.
1.3 Plural Terms and Gender
Whenever the singular masculine or feminine is used in this Collective Agreement, it shall be considered as if the plural, feminine or masculine has been used where the context so requires.
1.4 Types of Employees
1.4.1 Permanent Employees
- A permanent full-time employee is any employee who is appointed to a permanent position and works the regular hours of work as per Article 23.1 and who has successfully completed the required probation period.
- A permanent part-time employee is any employee who is appointed to a permanent position and works less than the regular hours of work as per Article 23.1 and who has successfully completed the required probation period.
- A seasonal employee is any employee who is appointed to a permanent position subject to layoff and suspension of benefits because it is seasonal or cyclical in nature and who has successfully completed the required probationary period.
1.4.2 Non-Permanent Employees
- A term employee is an employee who works on a full-time or part-time basis for a specific period of time or replaces a permanent employee who is absent for an extended but limited period such as a leave of absence or disability.
When an employee (except an apprentice under Article 15.4.5) has been in the same term position continuously for more than thirty (30) months (forty (40) months in the case of an employee replacing an absent. employee due to disability, or subsequent employees due to backfilling), that employee’s status will be changed to permanent.
- A recurring relief employee is an employee who is appointed to work that is anticipated or projected to be indefinite in duration, with hours of work that may be scheduled or flexible. Payment for recurring relief employees will be on an hourly basis.
Recurring relief employees may remain active for a twelve (12) month period and will be able to bid on internal competitions throughout that duration. If a recurring relief employee is inactive for a period of six (6) months for any reason, they will no longer hold recurring relief status.
A former recurring relief employee may be rehired at any time.
- A casual employee is an employee who is appointed to work that, due to its nature, cannot be scheduled, anticipated or projected, or is work of a limited duration. Payment of casual employees will be on an hourly basis.
Casual employees shall not work more than five (5) consecutive work days (full or partial) and cannot work more than thirty (30) work days (full or partial) per year.
1.4.3 Student Employees:
A student employee is a non-permanent employee, who is a student at the University, hired to work scheduled or unscheduled hours (including Casual Facilities and Program Assistants (FAPA) as per Appendix 3). Hours of work may vary from day to day or week to week. Payment for student employees will be on an hourly or semi-monthly basis.
The following Collective Agreement provisions are applicable to student employees:
- Article 1 – Scope
- Article 2 – Management
- Article 3 – Union Recognition
- Article 4 – Union Security
- Article 5 – Joint Consultation
- Article 6 – Use of Employer Premises
- Article 7 – No Discrimination
- Article 8.11 – Coaching
- Article 11 – Compensation (excluding FAPA, see Appendix 3)
- Article 13 – Discipline
- Article 14 – Grievance Procedure
- Article 15 – Leave of Absence (Casual Union Leave only)
- Article 18 – Sick Leave (18.9 and 18.10 only)
- Article 20 – Occupational Health and Safety
- Article 21 – Respectful Workplace
- Article 22 – Miscellaneous (excluding 22.4, 22.8, and 22.11)
- Article 25 – The Agreement